All Pakistani Dramas Lists
Latest Episodes of Dramas - Latest Politics Shows - Latest Politics Discussions

View RSS Feed

*Aajiz*

Let's Remember Dr. I. H. Usmani....(Great Pakistani Scientists Series)[2nd entry]

Rate this Entry

Dr. Ishrat Hussain Usmani, (ڈاکٹر عشرت حيسن عتثماني), (D.Phil., NI(C)), (April 15, 1917 - June 17, 1992), best known as Dr. I. H. Usmani, was a Pakistani bureaucrat and an atomic physicist who was the chairman of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) from 1960 to 1972; as well as the Co-chairman of the Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO).
Dr. Usmani was born into a respected, cultural, upper middle class, and an educated family of Delhi and Aligarh. In 1936, Usmani received his B.Sc. (Hons) in physics from Aligarh Muslim University. Later, Usmani obtained masters in physics from University of Bombay. In 1937, the Ishrat Usmani proceeded to the Imperial College, University of London, for research in atomic physics with the Nobel Laureate Professor P.M.S. Blackett, and he produced a thesis entitled "A study of the growth of compound crystals by electron diffraction" in 1939.
He completed his doctorate in atomic physics from the Imperial College of Science and Technology, London. In 1950, while at London, he was personally invited and delegated by American nuclear physicists Dr. Alvin M. Weinberg, Dr. Robert Charpi, Karl Z. Morgan, the scientists who had worked in Manhattan Project, to the United States where he carried out his research in nuclear power and reactor technology at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory whereas he served as a director of Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

He also officiated as the Chairman of the Board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) from 1962 to 1963.

Dr. Ishrat Hussain Usmani played an important role in Pakistan's road to nuclear technology to space technology. Usmani is one of the key founder of many nuclear research institutes and space research institutes. Usmani is also credited to established country's first nuclear power plant (KANUPP) in Karachi with the cooperation with Canada.

A prominent nuclear scientist, Dr. Inam-ur-Rehman has called Usmani as "The Father of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission", due to his honest effort to build the agency and establishing the nuclear power plants in Pakistan.

Dr. Usmani is most remembered of his efforts in Pakistan's civilian nuclear program. He is most known for his efforts in sending hundreds of young Pakistani students abroad to pursue higher education in the field of nuclear technology.

Dr. Usmani also established the various atomic research centers such as Nuclear Institute for Agriculture and Biology (NIAB) in Faisalabad, and the Nuclear Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) in Islamabad.

Dr. Usmani died in Karachi on June 17, 1992.

Govt. of Pakistan acknowledged the services of Sr I. H. Usmani by Awarding him the Pakistan's highest civilian award, Nishan-i-Imtiaz in 1998.

Dr. I. H. Usmani (far right) along with other scientists
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice................