Latest Episodes of Dramas - Latest Politics Shows - Latest Politics Discussions

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Discuss Saudi women defy driving ban in Current Affair Talks Shows and Debate forum, in Desi Dramas / Media / Pakistani Politics Shows and Entertainment category.

Mysticreed is offline Genius Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Red face Saudi women defy driving ban

Saudi women defy driving ban

RIYADH: A number of Saudi women drove cars on Friday in response to calls for nationwide action to break a traditional ban, unique to the ultra-conservative kingdom, according to reports on social networks.

The call to defy the ban that spread through Facebook and Twitter is the largest en masse action since November 1990, when a group of 47 Saudi women were arrested and severely punished after demonstrating in cars.

“We’ve just returned from the supermarket. My wife decided to start the day by driving to the store and back,” said columnist Tawfiq Alsaif on his Twitter page.

“I took King Fahd Road (Riyadh artery) and then Olaya Street, along with my husband, I decided that the car for today is mine,” Maha al-Qahtani tweeted.

Her husband Mohammed al-Qahtani tweeted that she carried her necessary belongings “ready to go to prison without fear”.
    Another woman posted online a video of her driving after midnight Thursday as the first woman to answer the call for protest. The veiled woman drove along nearly-empty main roads until she parked at a supermarket.

“All that we need is to run our errands without depending on drivers,” said the unnamed woman in the video. “I believe that the society is ready to welcome us.”

Police patrols were at normal levels on the sleepy streets of Riyadh on the first day of the weekend, an AFP photographer reported.
    Many Saudi women had pledged on Facebook and Twitter to answer the call to defy the deeply entrenched ban.
    But instead of staging demonstrations, which are strictly banned in the absolute monarchy, women with driving licences obtained abroad were encouraged to take individual action.
    Veteran women’s rights activist Wajiha al-Huwaidar told AFP on Friday that she did not expect a huge turnout as hoped for by sympathisers abroad because of the severe response by officials to women who have taken the lead in recent weeks.
    “I do not expect something big as people abroad imagine,” she said, adding that jailing activist Manal al-Sherif and others has scared some women off.
    Sharif, a 32-year-old computer scientist, found herself behind bars for two weeks last month after driving in the Eastern Province and posting footage of her actions on the Internet.
    Six other women were also briefly detained after being caught learning to drive on an empty plot of land in north Riyadh.
    Women in Saudi Arabia face an array of constraints, ranging from having to cover from head to toe in public and needing a male guardian’s permission to travel, to having restricted access to jobs because of strict segregation rules.
    The protests are the climax of a two-month online campaign riding the winds of the so-called Arab spring which has spread mass revolts across the region and toppled two regimes.
    The main Facebook page campaign, dubbed Women2Drive, says the action will start on Friday and keep going “until a royal decree allowing women to drive is issued”.
    “Saudi Arabian authorities must stop treating women as second-class citizens and open the kingdom’s roads to women drivers,” London-based Amnesty International said on Thursday.
    “Not allowing women behind the wheel in Saudi Arabia is an immense barrier to their freedom of movement, and severely limits their ability to carry out everyday activities as they see fit, such as going to work or the supermarket, or picking up their children from school,” said Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
    There is no law banning women from driving in the oil-rich kingdom, but the interior ministry imposes regulations based on a fatwa, or religious edict, stipulating women should not be permitted to drive.
    The last en masse protest against the ban was held in November 1990 when a group of women stunned Saudi men by driving around Riyadh in 15 cars before being arrested.
    The women were provoked at the time by the sight of US female soldiers who were taking part in the first Gulf War driving military vehicles freely in their own country while they are banned.
    Some of them reportedly said then that as their country was in war after Iraqi troops invaded neighbouring Kuwait, they felt like “sitting ducks” as they could not drive in case they needed to save their families.

The 47 women who took part in that protest were severely punished, with authorities suspending many from public sector jobs and reprimanding their male guardians.

They also faced a defamatory campaign with pamphlets calling them whores

“If you get arrested, do not be scared. You will only be asked to sign a pledge” not to drive, read one of several recommendations posted on the campaign’s Facebook page.

0 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Re: Saudi women defy driving ban

Quote Originally Posted by k-a-q View Post

When was the majority consulted for this ban ? Worst, there is no mechanism for majority to have a say in Saudi. It is ALL decided by Saudi Shura Council.
    Try to understand. Since only Saudi mullas are muslims so their decision is the decision of the majority !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!

tariqmmalik is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    1452 Post(s)

What are moral, social and ethical codes that prevent women from driving in Saudia? Saudia is the only country in the world where women are barred from driving. This ban is based on a fatwa not any deficiency in women or by society agreeing upon.

When was the majority consulted for this ban ? Worst, there is no mechanism for majority to have a say in Saudi. It is ALL decided by Saudi Shura Council.
    I can't believe I have to explain this. Almost all our moral values and most of our social and ethical values come from our religion (regardless of what one's religion is). Actually, the very purpose of a religion (any religion) is to give us moral values. Without religion, no society has ever been able to sustain any moral values for any considerable length of time.

That said, the social and moral codes that stop women from driving are that the majority does not want or like women to drive for any or, perhaps, many reasons. The major reason in my opinion is: Not to let the women take the car and go wherever they want and do whatever they want (if you know what I mean). Ultimately that kind of unnecessary freedom becomes a problem for the women themselves most of the time if not all of the time. There may be other reason that I am not aware of but I can ask around.

The Saudis forgot to tell me the date they agreed on the ban. I will remind them to announce it publicly. :-)

1 Not allowed!

R4BIAN is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rao7 View Post
    abu jahil im not the one who force people to living according to rules of certain GOVT in that case KSA.... so my point was to show hypocricy of KSA RULERS... they dont believe what they preach .. as far im concern im not answerable to you . may be I have beard, my beard has nothing to do with you .. samja abu jahil ... wasay show me one verse in Quran where it says to its imperative to act on SUNNAT (PBUH) ? Sunnat is a way to show love for the Prophet(PBUH) but no one is sinful if he does not follow SUNNAT(PBUH)....
    O Mastanday....Jb apne ooper baat aayi to poori taqreer jhaarh di kaisa munafiq hai tu....Saudi Kings ki baat aati hai to Beard Shariah Law k under aajati hai aur agar apne pe baat aaye to Beard personal choice bn jaati hai...munafiq kahin ka...Quran ki best tafseer Sunnat-e-Nabi SAWS hai aur Hadees me Huzoor SAWS ne hukam diya k "Daarhi barhao aur moonchay kutarwaao" isme clearly show horaha hai k order(Amar) hai aur jab order ki baat aati hai to personal choice wala system yahan apply nai hota Tamam Fuqaha is baat pe muttafiq hain k Amar ka seegha Wujoob k liye istemaal hota hai..

4 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1452 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Abdullah View Post
    Quran ki best tafseer Sunnat-e-Nabi SAWS hai aur Hadees me Huzoor SAWS ne hukam diya k "Daarhi barhao aur moonchay kutarwaao" .
    Hey, can you tell us the reason for cutting/shaving the mustache? I am sorry I am not familiar with that particular hadees.

0 Not allowed!

R4BIAN is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tariqmmalik View Post
    Hey, can you tell us the reason for cutting/shaving the mustache? I am sorry I am not familiar with that particular hadees.
    Islam ne yahoodiyon aur kuffaar ki mushaabihat ikhteyaar krne se mana kiya hai us waqt yahoodi aur mushrikeen e Makka bari bari moonchay rkhte thay jo takabbur ki alaamat hai aur takabbur sirf Allah hi ko zeba hai. Fully kaatne ka hukam nai hai but moonchay choti krne ka hukam hai.

0 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

0 Not allowed!

DiL_SaY is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Blog Entries
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Ajeeb Log Hain Saudia Main Kuch Bhi Hota Hai use Issue Bana Lete Hain ........ Yeh Log Tab Kyon Khamosh Rehte Hain Jab Frnace main Hijaab Per Ban Lagaya Jata Hai ? Tab Inhe yaad Nahi Aata Ke Har Ek Ka Huq Hai Wo Jaise Chahe Apni Life Guzare ......Lekin Yeh Log Kehte Hain Ke Jis Country Main Rehna Hai Wahan Ke Rules Follow Karne Zaroori Hain.....
    Women Driving Per Saudia Ne Apni Society Ke Bases Per Ban Lagaya Hai In Logon Ne Kabhi Yeh Nahi Kaha Ke Islam Main Driving Karna Manah Hai ......... Saudia Main Majority Nahi Chahti Hai Ke Women Ko Driving Ki Permission Di Jaye .... !!

3 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DiL_SaY View Post

Ajeeb Log Hain Saudia Main Kuch Bhi Hota Hai use Issue Bana Lete Hain ........ Yeh Log Tab Kyon Khamosh Rehte Hain Jab Frnace main Hijaab Per Ban Lagaya Jata Hai ? Tab Inhe yaad Nahi Aata Ke Har Ek Ka Huq Hai Wo Jaise Chahe Apni Life Guzare ......Lekin Yeh Log Kehte Hain Ke Jis Country Main Rehna Hai Wahan Ke Rules Follow Karne Zaroori Hain.....
    Women Driving Per Saudia Ne Apni Society Ke Bases Per Ban Lagaya Hai In Logon Ne Kabhi Yeh Nahi Kaha Ke Islam Main Driving Karna Manah Hai ......... Saudia Main Majority Nahi Chahti Hai Ke Women Ko Driving Ki Permission Di Jaye .... !!
    Ajeeb log hain saudia mulla slaves. 'Yeh log' did criticise France when that thing happened. How do you know that the majority in Saudia do not want women to drive ?????????? is there any concept of voting there mulla slave ???????????

0 Not allowed!

cloudy0001 is offline Star Member
    anti-america

Blog Entries
    Quoted
    999 Post(s)

good answar ,,pehlay ap bataon apke kitne lambi dharri hai??
    O Mastanday....Jb apne ooper baat aayi to poori taqreer jhaarh di kaisa munafiq hai tu....Saudi Kings ki baat aati hai to Beard Shariah Law k under aajati hai aur agar apne pe baat aaye to Beard personal choice bn jaati hai...munafiq kahin ka...Quran ki best tafseer Sunnat-e-Nabi SAWS hai aur Hadees me Huzoor SAWS ne hukam diya k "Daarhi barhao aur moonchay kutarwaao" isme clearly show horaha hai k order(Amar) hai aur jab order ki baat aati hai to personal choice wala system yahan apply nai hota Tamam Fuqaha is baat pe muttafiq hain k Amar ka seegha Wujoob k liye istemaal hota hai..

0 Not allowed!

k-a-q is offline Star Member
    is here

Quoted
    105 Post(s)

That said, the social and moral codes that stop women from driving are that the majority does not want or like women to drive for any or, perhaps, many reasons. The major reason in my opinion is: Not to let the women take the car and go wherever they want and do whatever they want (if you know what I mean). Ultimately that kind of unnecessary freedom becomes a problem for the women themselves most of the time if not all of the time. There may be other reason that I am not aware of but I can ask around.

The Saudis forgot to tell me the date they agreed on the ban. I will remind them to announce it publicly. :-)
    Your major reason is fallacious. You presume 'unnecessary freedom becomes problem for the women most of the time'. There no reason to think Saudi women driving as a problem when they have not even attempted to drive. This is logical fallacy of 'poisoning the well' before anyone can drink it. Same rule can be applied to men. Would that be a problem as well ? Should men, therefore, be also banned from driving in KSA?

In 1990 when Saudi women protested while driving, clerics branded the 47 women as amoral. Is this the moral code you are referring?

2 Not allowed!

DiL_SaY is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Blog Entries
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticreed View Post
    Ajeeb log hain saudia kay paltu. 'Yeh log' did criticise France when that thing happened. How do you know that the majority in Saudia do not want women to drive ?????????? is there any concept of voting there mulla slave ???????????
    Alhamdulillah Muslims Ka Paaltu Hona Kafiron Ke Paltu Hone Se Bahot Behtar Hai ....... Tum Apna Batao West Ke Paltu Tum Tab Kyon Awaaz Nahi Uthate Jab Hijab Ko Ban Kiya Jata Hai? Tab Aapki Ghairt Kahan Chali Jaati Hai ?
    Hum Isliye Ban Ke Against Awaaz Uthate Hain Woh Hamara Islamic Masla Hai ..........
    Main Saudia Main Hoon .... Meri Apni Raaye Bhi Hai Ke Agar Kisi Tarhan Ka Koee Masla Na Ho Tu Women Ko Bhi Driving Ki Permission Honi Chahiye ...... Lekin Agar Govt. Permission Nahi De Rahi Tu Isme Mujhe Aapko Kya Problem ? Apni Country Main Jo Dher Sare Problems Hain pehle unhe Solve Karlo ...!!

0 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DiL_SaY View Post
    Alhamdulillah Muslims Ka Paaltu Hona Kafiron Ke Paltu Hone Se Bahot Behtar Hai ....... Tum Apna Batao West Ke Paltu Tum Tab Kyon Awaaz Nahi Uthate Jab Hijab Ko Ban Kiya Jata Hai? Tab Aapki Ghairt Kahan Chali Jaati Hai ?
    Hum Isliye Ban Ke Against Awaaz Uthate Hain Woh Hamara Islamic Masla Hai ..........
    Main Saudia Main Hoon .... Meri Apni Raaye Bhi Hai Ke Agar Kisi Tarhan Ka Koee Masla Na Ho Tu Women Ko Bhi Driving Ki Permission Honi Chahiye ...... Lekin Agar Govt. Permission Nahi De Rahi Tu Isme Mujhe Aapko Kya Problem ? Apni Country Main Jo Dher Sare Problems Hain pehle unhe Solve Karlo ...!!
    Alhamdulillah I am not a paltu of anyone as being a paltu of anyone is against Islam. Let me know if being a paltu is allowed according to Quran and hadis ?????????? I did raise my voice against the hijab issue in France so you cannot put it on me. This is an international website and each and every topic is discussed here so you do not try to guide me najdi mulla slave as to what I should post and what not. Do you understand najdi mulla slave ??????????

Pakistan state is fighting against terrorism and according to your najdi mulla logic you have no right to speak against the fight against terrorism and so do not speak against the Pakistani state. Do you understand najdi mulla slave ??????????????

2 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1452 Post(s)

Your major reason is fallacious. You presume 'unnecessary freedom becomes problem for the women most of the time'. There no reason to think Saudi women driving as a problem when they have not even attempted to drive. This is logical fallacy of 'poisoning the well' before anyone can drink it. Same rule can be applied to men. Would that be a problem as well ? Should men, therefore, be also banned from driving in KSA?

In 1990 when Saudi women protested while driving, clerics branded the 47 women as amoral. Is this the moral code you are referring?
    So if I tell someone not to put his hand in the fire as it might (actually will) get burned, then it is a logical fallacy as he hasn't yet put his hand in the fire yet. Right?

Or if I tell someone not to go in the woods after dark as their are wild dogs and wolfs in that area and most people who do venture into it, get attacked. Does it also constitute a logical fallacy as they haven't gone into the woods yet?

Don't you think you have your logic wrong?

What the clerics do in Saudia is their business. I am personally not against women driving cars, but if I were in Saudia, I would call it amoral because that is the law (moral) of the land. Do you have a problem with that? There are different cultural taboos in different parts of the world. Should we call them all amoral?

1 Not allowed!

k-a-q is offline Star Member
    is here

Quoted
    105 Post(s)

So if I tell someone not to put his hand in the fire as it might (actually will) get burned, then it is a logical fallacy as he hasn't yet put his hand in the fire yet. Right?

Or if I tell someone not to go in the woods after dark as their are wild dogs and wolfs in that area and most people who do venture into it, get attacked. Does it also constitute a logical fallacy as they haven't gone into the woods yet?

Don't you think you have your logic wrong?
    Fire always burns. This is law of nature. This is a fixed concept in your mind. If you tell someone not to put his hand in the fire, you are right to prevent any burn.
    If you tell someone not to go in the woods after dark this is also OK to prevent someone from harm. You tell this because you already have a concept that wild animals may attack and harm.
    Compare these two examples with driving of Saudi women. IF they get legal permit to drive; why would they cause 'problem' if they drive? They may be driving harm and problem free just like men will. Why presume problem beforehand? Your both examples have no parallel to preventing women from driving.

No, I do not think my logic is wrong.
    What the clerics do in Saudia is their business. I am personally not against women driving cars, but if I were in Saudia, I would call it amoral because that is the law (moral) of the land. Do you have a problem with that? There are different cultural taboos in different parts of the world. Should we call them all amoral?
    You may call women driving illegal in Saudia not against moral. The decree of Saudi clerics to ban women driving has nothing to do with moral code. If you personally are not against women driving then you should say that those clerics have deprived women of a privilege.

1 Not allowed!

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

I know tyipcal mullah (deobandi,barlvi and wahabi) going to be sooo crazy ...

1 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

I know tyipcal mullah (deobandi,barlvi and wahabi) going to be sooo crazy ...
    Who is this mulla ???????? looks like he is from Ethiopia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He says that those who love have beards. So why does not he have a beard ?????????? Does he not have love of sunnat ??????????

1 Not allowed!

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Who is this mulla ???????? looks like he is from Ethiopia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    who you talking about ? first listen then comment .. wasay teri mentality hai kay jo koi banda ISLAM ki baat karay tu foran ussay mullah kah kar ussay zalil karta hai .. wasay i was right tu apnay maan baap kay nikkah ko bi nai manta hoga .. kyon kay uss Nikah parhnay walay nay kuch ARABIC duaeen tu parhee hongi .. islam ki baat karnay wala , arabic verses parhnay wala teray nazdeek sab mullah hain .. lol

0 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

who you talking about ? first listen then comment .. wasay teri mentality hai kay jo koi banda ISLAM ki baat karay tu foran ussay mullah kah kar ussay zalil karta hai .. wasay i was right tu apnay maan baap kay nikkah ko bi nai manta hoga .. kyon kay uss Nikah parhnay walay nay kuch ARABIC duaeen tu parhee hongi .. islam ki baat karnay wala , arabic verses parhnay wala teray nazdeek sab mullah hain .. lol
    You posted this video and pre-emptively taunted the deobandis baralvi and wahabis but you are now even criticising me. Are you and your mulla the only one on the right path ????????? is this your takfiri mentality ??????????? I have some more questions regarding your post in general

1- Has this type of personal attack been taught to you by this mulla ???????

2- I asked something and you did not answer to the point. Should I safely assume that your mulla did not have the answer to my question ???????

3- Listen again to your posted 4 minute 18 second video because he has not recited a single arabic verse so your allegation of me criticising all people reciting arabic verses is absurd and baseless !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4- Who was the nikah khwan in this mullas own marriage ??????????

5- Who was the nikah khwan in your parents marriage ???????????

6- If he is not a mulla then is he a nai or a dhobi ?????????

Na beta na you do not do things which are questioned and crushed. 100s like you died when I was born lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Not allowed!

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

1- Has this type of personal attack been taught to you by this mulla ???????

2- I asked something and you did not answer to the point. Should I safely assume that your mulla did not have the answer to my question ???????

3- Listen again to your posted 4 minute 18 second video because he has not recited a single arabic verse so your allegation of me criticising all people reciting arabic verses is absurd and baseless !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4- Who was the nikah khwan in this mullas own marriage ??????????

5- Who was the nikah khwan in your parents marriage ???????????

6- If he is not a mulla then is he a nai or a dhobi ?????????

Na beta na you do not do things which are questioned and crushed. 100s like you died when I was born lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol, as i said i dont have any argument with you .. you are the guy jo apni ami aba kay nikah ko nai manta becoz he nikahkhwan was mullah . lol ..you are the one who started it and said hes ethopian or something .. apnay ander dekh .. and that guy does not have beard because of his genetics..

0 Not allowed!

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

lol, as i said i dont have any argument with you .. you are the guy jo apni ami aba kay nikah ko nai manta becoz he nikahkhwan was mullah . lol ..you are the one who started it and said hes ethopian or something .. apnay ander dekh .. and that guy does not have beard because of his genetics..
    Your personal attacks are evidence to your mullas teaching. I made an observation regarding his facial cuts and features but does that mean that I degraded him for his face value. Do not you and your mulla consider Ethopians as human beings ????????? You said 'The guy does not have beard because of his genetics' what is the meaning of this dude ?????????? genetics and beard do you have any explanation for this ???????????

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast