Indian Style Meatball Kabab
Ground mutton/beef 1 lb
Gram flour 1 tbsp
Garlic paste 1 tbsp
Chopped cilantro 2 tbsp
Finely Chopped green chillies 1 tsp
Finely Chopped onion - 1 medium
Mustard Oil 1 tbsp
Yogurt 1 tbsp (optional)
Garam Masala Powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder and salt according to taste
Green Bell Pepper - 1 (cut into 1 inch squares)
Red Onion - 1 (cut into 1 inch squares)
Few Cherry tomatoes/ Any tomatoes cut into 1 inch squares
Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Bamboo skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning
1) Wash the ground meat and leave it in a colander for a couple of hours so that all the water drains out.
2) Marinate the bell peppers, onions and tomatoes with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and keep aside for about 20-30 minutes.
2) In a heavy bottomed pan dry roast the gram flour on low heat till it changes colour slightly and gives out a nice aroma.
3) Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs with the ground meat and form small golf ball sized balls. The meatballs will shrink after steaming so keep them slightly bigger than the size you prefer.
4) Arrange the meatballs in a single layer in a large wok. Add about half a cup of water. Cover the wok and steam the meatballs for about 10-15 minutes on high heat until all the water evaporates.
5) When the meatballs cool down arrange them on bamboo skewers along with the marinated veggies .
6) Shallow fry the meatball kabobs in a frying pan on medium heat till the veggies are tender but crisp and the meatballs are fried on all the sides. Since the meatballs are already steamed they can be fried pretty quickly without worrying about whether they are cooked from inside or not.