Tomato Egg Drop Soup
Tomatoes, finely chopped - 4
Eggs: 1 or 2
Oil: 2 tablespoons
Garlic, finely chopped - 2 teaspoons
Ginger,finely chopped - 2 teaspoons
Onion, finely chopped - 1/2 medium
Tomato ketchup - 2-3 tablespoons
Salt - according to taste
White pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Vegetable stock/chicken stock/water - 4 cups
Cornflour - 2 tablespoons
White vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Green onions/cilantro leaves, finely chopped - 2 tablespoons
1) Heat oil in a wok. Saute the chopped garlic till golden. Add the ginger and onion and continue to saute.
2) Add the finely chopped tomatoes and saute for two minutes . Add the ketchup, salt,white pepper and sugar. Remember that the ketchup and stock also contain salt (especially if you are using store bought stock), so add salt accordingly. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
4) Add the stock/water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5) Dissolve the cornflour in about a quarter cup of water and add to the soup, stirring well. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes till the soup is a bit thick.
6) Beat the eggs in a bowl and drop into the soup from a height in a thin stream. Cook briefly till the egg coagulates.
7) Add green onions/cilantro and stir. Serve the soup piping hot.