Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Thread: Saudi women defy driving ban

Mysticreed is offline Genius Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Red face Saudi women defy driving ban

Saudi women defy driving ban

RIYADH: A number of Saudi women drove cars on Friday in response to calls for nationwide action to break a traditional ban, unique to the ultra-conservative kingdom, according to reports on social networks.

The call to defy the ban that spread through Facebook and Twitter is the largest en masse action since November 1990, when a group of 47 Saudi women were arrested and severely punished after demonstrating in cars.

“We’ve just returned from the supermarket. My wife decided to start the day by driving to the store and back,” said columnist Tawfiq Alsaif on his Twitter page.

“I took King Fahd Road (Riyadh artery) and then Olaya Street, along with my husband, I decided that the car for today is mine,” Maha al-Qahtani tweeted.

Her husband Mohammed al-Qahtani tweeted that she carried her necessary belongings “ready to go to prison without fear”.
    Another woman posted online a video of her driving after midnight Thursday as the first woman to answer the call for protest. The veiled woman drove along nearly-empty main roads until she parked at a supermarket.

“All that we need is to run our errands without depending on drivers,” said the unnamed woman in the video. “I believe that the society is ready to welcome us.”

Police patrols were at normal levels on the sleepy streets of Riyadh on the first day of the weekend, an AFP photographer reported.
    Many Saudi women had pledged on Facebook and Twitter to answer the call to defy the deeply entrenched ban.
    But instead of staging demonstrations, which are strictly banned in the absolute monarchy, women with driving licences obtained abroad were encouraged to take individual action.
    Veteran women’s rights activist Wajiha al-Huwaidar told AFP on Friday that she did not expect a huge turnout as hoped for by sympathisers abroad because of the severe response by officials to women who have taken the lead in recent weeks.
    “I do not expect something big as people abroad imagine,” she said, adding that jailing activist Manal al-Sherif and others has scared some women off.
    Sharif, a 32-year-old computer scientist, found herself behind bars for two weeks last month after driving in the Eastern Province and posting footage of her actions on the Internet.
    Six other women were also briefly detained after being caught learning to drive on an empty plot of land in north Riyadh.
    Women in Saudi Arabia face an array of constraints, ranging from having to cover from head to toe in public and needing a male guardian’s permission to travel, to having restricted access to jobs because of strict segregation rules.
    The protests are the climax of a two-month online campaign riding the winds of the so-called Arab spring which has spread mass revolts across the region and toppled two regimes.
    The main Facebook page campaign, dubbed Women2Drive, says the action will start on Friday and keep going “until a royal decree allowing women to drive is issued”.
    “Saudi Arabian authorities must stop treating women as second-class citizens and open the kingdom’s roads to women drivers,” London-based Amnesty International said on Thursday.
    “Not allowing women behind the wheel in Saudi Arabia is an immense barrier to their freedom of movement, and severely limits their ability to carry out everyday activities as they see fit, such as going to work or the supermarket, or picking up their children from school,” said Philip Luther, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
    There is no law banning women from driving in the oil-rich kingdom, but the interior ministry imposes regulations based on a fatwa, or religious edict, stipulating women should not be permitted to drive.
    The last en masse protest against the ban was held in November 1990 when a group of women stunned Saudi men by driving around Riyadh in 15 cars before being arrested.
    The women were provoked at the time by the sight of US female soldiers who were taking part in the first Gulf War driving military vehicles freely in their own country while they are banned.
    Some of them reportedly said then that as their country was in war after Iraqi troops invaded neighbouring Kuwait, they felt like “sitting ducks” as they could not drive in case they needed to save their families.

The 47 women who took part in that protest were severely punished, with authorities suspending many from public sector jobs and reprimanding their male guardians.

They also faced a defamatory campaign with pamphlets calling them whores

“If you get arrested, do not be scared. You will only be asked to sign a pledge” not to drive, read one of several recommendations posted on the campaign’s Facebook page.

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Re: Saudi women defy driving ban

Women have black faced the mullas with their bravery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

HonestMan is offline Banned
    [3:32]Say (O Muhammad SAW):
    "Obey Allah and the
    Messenger (Muhammad
    SAW)." But if they turn
    away, then Allah does not like
    the disbelievers.

Quoted
    315 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticreed View Post
    Women have black faced the mullas with their bravery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This MEMRI video is from a Jewish Zionist Orgainsation.

Your first news item is not dated, is it 8yrs old or what?

It is Saudia Internal Matter. Why do we not ask Western countries to ban Nudist Beeches and LapDancing & Strip Clubs to protect the women's rights?

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HonestMan View Post
    This MEMRI video is from a Jewish Zionist Orgainsation.

Your first news item is not dated, is it 8yrs old or what?

It is Saudia Internal Matter. Why do we not ask Western countries to ban Nudist Beeches and LapDancing & Strip Clubs to protect the women's rights?
    This is today's breaking news dude. You need to update yourself by coming out of primitive age !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saudi women defy driving ban | World | DAWN.COM

Memri tv has translated it in english but the programme was telecasted on a pakka Arabic channel !!!!!!!!!!!!! Point out if the translation is wrong because my Arabic skills confirm that the their is no bias in the translation !!!!!!!!!!!! Even youtube is owned and run by jews !!!!!!!!!!! I am more interested in Saudi or any other Muslim dominated country instead of some european beach !!!!!!!!!!!!

saira211 is offline Junior Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    58 Post(s)

HonestMan
    Yea driving a car or the right of being able to go out of the house by yourself equates totally with going to nude beaches and strip clubs. It is Saudia's internal matter and and its Saudi women who are trying to fight for a little breathing space. So i don't see any point of concern. Do you?

"Obey Allah and the
    Messenger (Muhammad
    SAW)." But if they turn
    the disbelievers.

Quoted
    315 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saira211 View Post
    @HonestMan
    Yea driving a car or the right of being able to go out of the house by yourself equates totally with going to nude beaches and strip clubs. It is Saudia's internal matter and and its Saudi women who are trying to fight for a little breathing space. So i don't see any point of concern. Do you?
    You have been the Most Vocal opponent of the Saudis, why suddenly this change. Why are you supporting the Saudia Women and not the Saudia. I personally would like women to be able to drive. But I am not fully aware of why the Saudi Govt is not allowing it yet. Are you? You say, If they can't drive then this is like denying them a breathing space. Strange logic you have.

If you hate Saudis then you loose your right to support one against the other. If it is driving issue there in Saudia, then lack of education to women in Pakistan Tribal Areas is another close to us, why no one is taking up that case and fighting for it.
    It is just Saudi hate spurring some on to hit them and criticize them.

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

Edit>

Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HonestMan View Post
    You have been the Most Vocal opponent of the Saudis, why suddenly this change. Who are you supporting the Saudia Women and not the Saudia. I personally would like women to be able to drive. But I am not fully aware of why the Saudi Govt is not allowing it yet. Are you? You say, If they can't drive then this is like denying them a breathing space. Strange logic you have.

If you hate Saudis then you loose your right to support one against the other. If it is driving issue there in Saudia, then lack of education to women in Pakistan Tribal Areas is another close to us, who no one is taking up that case and fighting for it.
    It is just Saudi hate spurring some on to hit them and criticize them.
    Why would i be against people of a certain country. I am and i will always oppose the Saudi regime but when it comes to basic rights of people i don't discriminate. I wish people in pakistan had a dharna or a movement for the lack of education in Pakistan, i would be the first person to support it. I have been very vocal about the importance of education in Pakistan as well. perhaps you missed it. Since you and i both agree that women have a right to drive and to live their lives according to their own will, rest is immaterial.

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Saudi women drive kar rai hain ? king abdullalh ko heart attack hojana hai ..wasay KSA mai Sharia LAW hai par King abdullah ki Sharai Beard ku nai hai ? infact all the past KSA Kings had same yahoodi beard ...

look at these face , u guys see any Sharai Beard ?

tariqmmalik is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    1452 Post(s)

Why would i be against people of a certain country. I am and i will always oppose the Saudi regime but when it comes to basic rights of people i don't discriminate. I wish people in pakistan had a dharna or a movement for the lack of education in Pakistan, i would be the first person to support it. I have been very vocal about the importance of education in Pakistan as well. perhaps you missed it. Since you and i both agree that women have a right to drive and to live their lives according to their own will, rest is immaterial.
    That women have a right to live their lives according to their own will is an outrageous statement. Should a nudist be allowed to live her life according to her own will? Should cannibals be also given the same right? Should lesbians be allowed to marry each other in Pakistan? Should prostitution be legalized? Should teen age girls be allowed to date and get pregnant? There are hundreds of other such questions that beg attention. Do you think we should open them up for debate? Besides, no one is really allowed to live their lives according to their own will completely. For example, I hate speed limits. Should I be allowed to drive as fast as I will to or want to?

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rao7 View Post
    Saudi women drive kar rai hain ? king abdullalh ko heart attack hojana hai ..wasay KSA mai Sharia LAW hai par King abdullah ki Sharai Beard ku nai hai ? infact all the past KSA Kings had same yahoodi beard ...
    Having a beard is a choice not a requirement. Besides, the Sharia version implemented in Saudia does not apply to the royal family; they are above the Sharia.

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tariqmmalik View Post
    That women have a right to live their lives according to their own will is an outrageous statement. Should a nudist be allowed to live her life according to her own will? Should cannibals be also given the same right? Should lesbians be allowed to marry each other in Pakistan? Should prostitution be legalized? Should teen age girls be allowed to date and get pregnant? There are hundreds of other such questions that beg attention. Do you think we should open them up for debate? Besides, no one is really allowed to live their lives according to their own will completely. For example, I hate speed limits. Should I be allowed to drive as fast as I will to or want to?

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Having a beard is a choice not a requirement. Besides, the Sharia version implemented in Saudia does not apply to the royal family; they are above the Sharia.
    what is ur all theses have do with women driving ?

Edit>

Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Aray bhui kabhi to comment ko context main daikha karain. We are talking about basic rights and right to drive a car etc. Although i don't have a problem with gays/Lesbians marrying each other. You however are welcome to join the Moral Police. Even UN passed a resolution today acknowledging the rights of LGBT. Laws are in place to protect people and their rights and not the other way around. You can definitely drive as fast as you like, just be prepared for a hefty ticket .

"Obey Allah and the
    Messenger (Muhammad
    SAW)." But if they turn
    the disbelievers.

Quoted
    315 Post(s)

I honestly believe that that is not so. There is only one version of Sharia and no separate one for the rayal family.
    Having said that, many ordinary Saudis have similar beards as well.
    The main Point to understand and keep in mind is that the Rayal Saudi family is not the custodian of Islam. We Muslims do not take our religious guidance from them the royal family. Some of them have been guilty of most evil of crimes.
    About beards, the Sharia says that one should keep it. This is the Sunnah of the prophet pbuh. The prophet pbuh said that try your best to follow my way as much as you can. Hence, the derivation is, that we must in our hearts believe that keeping of a beard is a must, but may have a genuine reason why you can't, as long as you believe that, the one day you shall keep it. Then that is still better than to oppose the beard totally or to consider it not essentially reqd.

I was reading some articles on SCRIBD, and by chance came across this rather strange article about the Bible and how it views human physical deficiencies affecting their religious position in Church. It is only for MEN to see.

TESTICLES, Topical Bible Study

tariqmmalik is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    1452 Post(s)

Aray bhui kabhi to comment ko context main daikha karain. We are talking about basic rights and right to drive a car etc. Although i don't have a problem with gays/Lesbians marrying each other. You however are welcome to join the Moral Police. Even UN passed a resolution today acknowledging the rights of LGBT. Laws are in place to protect people and their rights and not the other way around. You can definitely drive as fast as you like, just be prepared for a hefty ticket .
    Thanks for so easily falling into the trap I setup for you. Laws are based on a society's needs, preferences, beliefs, and moral codes. Our basic needs/rights are also determined by by our moral, social, and ethical codes. Without going into it any further, the women's right to drive a car in Saudi Arabia is determined by the society's codes that they (society) have agreed upon regardless of how badly some modern women or modern wanna-be type of women want it. There can never be any law made or implemented in a society if the majority does not like or want it. To sum it all up, if you want to live in Saudia, you have to follow the Saudi law even if you don't like it? Religion has nothing to do with it. Understood?

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

"Obey Allah and the
    Messenger (Muhammad
    SAW)." But if they turn
    the disbelievers.

Quoted
    315 Post(s)

Thanks for so easily falling into the trap I setup for you. Laws are based on a society's needs, preferences, beliefs, and moral codes. Our basic needs/rights are also determined by by our moral, social, and ethical codes. Without going into it any further, the women's right to drive a car in Saudi Arabia is determined by the society's codes that they (society) have agreed upon regardless of how badly some modern women or modern wanna-be type of women want it. There can never be any law made or implemented in a society if the majority does not like or want it. To sum it all up, if you want to live in Saudia, you have to follow the Saudi law even if you don't like it? Religion has nothing to do with it. Understood?
    I must go beyond a simple 'like' and put in my words of commendation for that very effective and intelligent rejoinder. TM you are one intelligent guy on fk. Saira is learning fast and shall be good oneday.
    However, there is one difference of opinion I have with you, and it is for another time.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Their Beards are not in accordance with Sharia. Does it affect us in following the Sharia. These Royals are not the Custodians of Islam. They don't interpret Islam for us, nor do we follow them to understand Islam. What the hell are you trying to prove by uploading photos after photos.
    Saudi royal family are rulers and they are not examplary Muslims, we all know it and condemn it. You better ask them if there is any evidence they have to support the kind of beards they keep.
    As far as my knowledge goes that is not a Shariayee beard.
    Happy now.

Edit>

Quoted
    1360 Post(s)

R4BIAN is offline Expert Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    2296 Post(s)

Dusron ko choro apni baat kro tumhare chehray pe daarhi hai ya roz Sunnat-e-Rasool SAWS pe razor pherte ho?

k-a-q is offline Star Member
    is here

Quoted
    105 Post(s)

... Laws are based on a society's needs, preferences, beliefs, and moral codes. Our basic needs/rights are also determined by by our moral, social, and ethical codes. Without going into it any further, the women's right to drive a car in Saudi Arabia is determined by the society's codes that they (society) have agreed upon regardless of how badly some modern women or modern wanna-be type of women want it.
    What are moral, social and ethical codes that prevent women from driving in Saudia? Saudia is the only country in the world where women are barred from driving. This ban is based on a fatwa not any deficiency in women or by society agreeing upon.

There can never be any law made or implemented in a society if the majority does not like or want it.
    When was the majority consulted for this ban ? Worst, there is no mechanism for majority to have a say in Saudi. It is ALL decided by Saudi Shura Council.

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Abdullah View Post
    Dusron ko choro apni baat kro tumhare chehray pe daarhi hai ya roz Sunnat-e-Rasool SAWS pe razor pherte ho?
    abu jahil im not the one who force people to living according to rules of certain GOVT in that case KSA.... so my point was to show hypocricy of KSA RULERS... they dont believe what they preach .. as far im concern im not answerable to you . may be I have beard, my beard has nothing to do with you .. samja abu jahil ... wasay show me one verse in Quran where it says to its imperative to act on SUNNAT (PBUH) ? Sunnat is a way to show love for the Prophet(PBUH) but no one is sinful if he does not follow SUNNAT(PBUH)....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last