Latest Episodes of Dramas - Latest Politics Shows - Latest Politics Discussions

Thread: Shahid Nama with Dr Shahid Masood - 7th September 2011

Hit Man is offline Moderator
    Edit>

Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Shahid Nama with Dr Shahid Masood - 7th September 2011

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hit Man For This Useful Post:

isfhan ahmad (09-08-2011), NoToRi0uS (09-08-2011), saami (09-08-2011), smir (09-08-2011)

Khalid Ali is offline Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Re: Shahid Nama with Dr Shahid Masood - 7th September 2011

he is speaking out of his arse that phone works as transmitter while u are not using it. If that's the case then the manufacturer can be sued to their graves in international court of law. Plus technically I know its possible but not as simple to implement. 90% of what Doctor said is inaccurate, yes there are possibilities but you have to have really, really large systems to capture voice communications of GSM, governments usually have the ability to buy resources to break encryption (GSM specifications are publicly available). Your phone is not a transmitter at its own, unless you get your phone by some 3rd party where they added some hardware to keep a continuous voice channel open to some other number, however this would mean when u make a call, earlier transmission would stop. This would mean ur phone would be dead in couple of hours though...I could go on but believe me things are not that simple

wifi123 is offline Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    4 Post(s)

dr.shahid always comes up with new topics very active person

rao7 is offline Banned
    in transition

Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

yeah cellphone wali ajeeb bongi mari hai , kay you can record everything even cellphone is not in call..

Rickshaw is offline Senior Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Queue Farms is offline Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    2 Post(s)

for God sake dont u get any telecom engineer to describe the things. Orya Maqbool Jan is jsut spreading rumors

noonee is offline Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Ali View Post
    he is speaking out of his arse that phone works as transmitter while u are not using it. If that's the case then the manufacturer can be sued to their graves in international court of law. Plus technically I know its possible but not as simple to implement. 90% of what Doctor said is inaccurate, yes there are possibilities but you have to have really, really large systems to capture voice communications of GSM, governments usually have the ability to buy resources to break encryption (GSM specifications are publicly available). Your phone is not a transmitter at its own, unless you get your phone by some 3rd party where they added some hardware to keep a continuous voice channel open to some other number, however this would mean when u make a call, earlier transmission would stop. This would mean ur phone would be dead in couple of hours though...I could go on but believe me things are not that simple
    You are wrong, my friend.

GSM encryption standard is known to be very weak. One can either use hardware or software for it and usually the software option is much better and also less expensive. There are also other options such as activating the mic on the phone to transmit voice data.

The U.S. Commerce Department's security office warns that "a cellular telephone can be turned into a microphone and transmitter for the purpose of listening to conversations in the vicinity of the phone." An article in the Financial Times last year said mobile providers can "remotely install a piece of software on to any handset, without the owner's knowledge, which will activate the microphone even when its owner is not making a call."Nextel and Samsung handsets and the Motorola Razr are especially vulnerable to software downloads that activate their microphones, said James Atkinson, a counter-surveillance consultant who has worked closely with government agencies. "They can be remotely accessed and made to transmit room audio all the time," he said. "You can do that without having physical access to the phone."Because modern handsets are miniature computers, downloaded software could modify the usual interface that always displays when a call is in progress. The spyware could then place a call to the FBI and activate the microphone--all without the owner knowing it happened. (The FBI declined to comment on Friday.)"If a phone has in fact been modified to act as a bug, the only way to counteract that is to either have a bugsweeper follow you around 24-7, which is not practical, or to peel the battery off the phone," Atkinson said. Security-conscious corporate executives routinely remove the batteries from their cell.

This shows thats with the correct information any spy agency can install software on your mobile to tap you. So its all true.

Edit>

Quoted
    25 Post(s)

what is wrong with Pakistanis in general?
    Did u even read what I said? I said its possible but beyond the likely access of common man, I SAID governments have resources to do this and have the means to break GSM encryption. And buddy write some code to break GSM encryption and you will find out, on top of that now a days new phones are 3G(and even 4G), which is way more secure then original A5/1 stream cipher used yrs ago. So yes theoretically lots of things are possible, even teleportation of humans from one point to another just like in star trek beaming people around(in labs it has been accomplished at molecular levels) but does that mean it can be done?
    As one of the poster mentioned above, Doctor should have gotten an actual expert to speak on communications security..

mian_ssg is offline Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Khalid Ali, I guess you are also a Pakistani, but anyways...
    You are right that things are probably not that easy. The motivation and benefit of a system penetration are the key things in this area. in 2006 FBI People have done this []FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool - CNET News and now it is 2011. But to prove your point you have given an extreme example of teleportation although breaking ciphers and even switching some capabality of a phone remotely without the consent of the user is far easier than teleporting
    Yes you are right usually government agencies are behind such activities. They even collaborate with service providers and seek their help to get things going. You may already know that service providers are mostly private entities. So if they can do it for government then what will stop them for doing the same for any third party, specially in third world countries where there isn't any rule of Law to sue the aggressor.

Edit>

Quoted
    25 Post(s)

You are right, and this was my point, people need not to make things overly simplified as they are not, and if you know anything about hacking the keys or ciphers, u know that its very exciting to talk about it, doing it though, is a freaking completely different story. So yes govs can do many things, private entities, not so much. Using cell phone to be transmitter only via mic? hunm interesting idea but it can only work when phone is idle and not being used, secondly it will eff up the battery extremely fast. Probably in less then couple of hours...Cheers
    Teleportation is not that far fetched now, only if we had the computing power to reconstruct whole human without any malformation..:-)
    Anyways cheers

wahshi is offline Junior Member
    Edit>

Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Khalid Ali I agree with you as far as breaking encryption etc is far easy to say and not that easy when you actually try i.e. it said that even wpa2 can be cracked but even with GPU accelerated processing, a brute force attack cannot(almost not possible) crack a good WPA2 setup, although with GPU assisted dictionary attack it is possible for the specific SSID.
    But as you stated it can be done but much easier said than done.
    But for an example to remotely install a rootkit in an android and then power it on without display(tough part) and transmitt data which has recorded all calls(easy and available).well for 6 months I have been searching on net and more than a million users want a good phone call recorder application and they have not been able to make it( call record without turning on speaker) for Android 2.2+. other than the old 1.6 which was for G1.

Edit>

Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wahshi View Post
    But for an example to remotely install a rootkit in an android and then power it on without display(tough part) and transmitt data which has recorded all calls(easy and available).well for 6 months I have been searching on net and more than a million users want a good phone call recorder application and they have not been able to make it( call record without turning on speaker) for Android 2.2+. other than the old 1.6 which was for G1.
    I am glad this conversation has grown out of typical loser/winner crap. Ok as far as our discussion is going here are my 2 cents..
    Say we want to keep the file size smaller(we have to because of the resource constraints on hand held devices), I think 8KB/sec conversation. I think the best option will be that conversations are recorded by not activating phones core modem functionality. A simple recording mechanism may be created, second to this would be how to setup an activity without activating other related services, I think that can be done too (if you read Android docs, it seems possible to suppress sending messages to different activities or services).
    Now presuming everything is done, then comes the most important part, how to transmit this?
    Using radio is probably the worst idea
    1. Because you dont want to make a modem connection as this would probably be hardest to suppress and user would know about the link being created.
    2.Second could be using the radio in passive mode and transmit information for short distance. But this would require and receiving module in the very close vicinity of the actual phone..

The best option may be to establish a TCP/IP comm to some remote server (as this can be done in background) But here a big if is that user has to have a data package..:-)

Just my thoughts on this