ghazi52 is offline Member
    Long Live Pakistan

Blog Entries
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Cool From Mundane To Contemporary

From Mundane To Contemporary

By Sumeha Khalid

interior... This week You! takes a look at Nishat Ikram Khan’s renovated townhouse
    which has been turned around from a regular four bedroom house into a two bedroom spectacular modern abode...

Any remodelling or renovation project can seem overwhelming, as restructuring a house not only requires aesthetics, but needs inspiration to turn it into a dream home. When Ms Nishat Ikram Khan decided to move into her recently acquired townhouse, she had no clue what was about to come. “When Asad I. A. Khan, architect of the house and I along with my daughter Afreen Shiraz walked through the house, we were unsure of what it would look like,” recalls Nishat.

The townhouse had a regular ground floor with a bedroom and living room while the first floor housed the living quarters. “I did not want a typical ground floor. As we walked through the first floor I realised that the space was enough for me. So we decided then and there to tear down the walls and to restructure the whole place,” shares Nishat.

As Nishat was travelling to America the very next day, for a month, she asked Asad and Afreen to have it finished by the time she gets back. “On my return, I was in for a surprise. Architect Asad, who is also my brother, did a great job of renovating the place and Afreen did all the hard work when it came to interior designing. She spent her nights and days at the house making it compact yet beautiful - transforming it from a mundane into a contemporary and modern house. It was nothing like what I had seen the first time. This was just the kind of contemporary living space I had always envisaged and now I was standing right in the midst of such an ideal setting,” she elatedly states.

Talking about the architectural aspect of redoing the house, architect, Asad I. A. Khan shares, “Basically it was a four-bedroom townhouse which was too big for Nishat. Keeping her need in mind we decided to convert the upper portion of the house in an apartment style space for her. So we settled on two bedrooms, a patio and a big sitting area with a kitchenette and a balcony. We managed that by pulling down the walls. In Karachi, renovating a house structurally is quite easy as compared to other cities like Lahore and Islamabad. That is because the construction in Karachi is based on columns and beams. Just by removing walls we managed to give a whole new look to the upper floor.”

According to Asad Khan, one thing that has to be kept in mind while restructuring any place is that it has to be done aesthetically and intelligently. “The renovation should be done in such a manner that it looks perfect. And that is also my expertise. As an architect I enjoy taking on such challenging projects. Once I renovated the house, Nishat’s daughter, who besides being a great entrepreneur is astoundingly creative, further enhanced the look of the place by decorating it.”
    The idea since inception was to make it a clutter free zone. “There are so many secret alcoves and cabinets that have beautifully taken in all my cutlery, crockery and other household items,” says Nishat.
    The entire house has been done in soft hues such as off-white and ash grey. Not to forget the furnishings; almost all the pieces are old but have been redone, upholstery has been changed keeping in mind the colour scheme that gives the furniture and the house a whole new look. The living room opens up in a lovely patio which is one of Nishat’s favourite hideouts. “I love to spend time in my balcony in the mornings and evenings. I open the doors whenever I have a party at my place and light it up with candles to create the perfect ambiance,” she tells.
    Nishat loves each and every room in her house. Be it the well lit living room or bedroom, she makes it a point to spend a certain number of hours in each and every space. “I love to enjoy every corner of the house so I make it a point to spend a few hours in every room,” she shares.
    “I am so glad Afreen designed and decorated the house for me with her husband Shiraz’s support. It’s cute and cosy just the way I had wanted. I’m now waiting for Afreen to set up her Ellemint Salon 2 on the ground floor sometime soon,” she signs off.

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning."

ghazi52 is offline Member
    Long Live Pakistan

Blog Entries
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: From Mundane To Contemporary

Tips for having a cheap house renovation

Ali Ramzan

House renovation can be an expensive business, especially in Pakistan. It is very easy to be swayed by false claims of incompetent contractors who can easily drain your wallets with a service which is not worth even a dime.

Here you will find low quality workers sitting in fancy shops boasting the quality of their work and making fool out of innocent customers who get easily convinced. Even I have been a victim of such treachery and have spent thousands of rupees on renovations that did not even last six months. But with the time I have learned to find ways to get a good quality renovation, and that too at a good price. Consulting famous interior designer in Pakistan, here are some smart ways through which you can get your house renovated at a low price:

Stay firm in your opinion:

This point had to be on the top of the list. Sometimes we make a good plan and have a clear idea about what we want. But, in order to make money, many contractors will suggest you expensive ideas confusing you and eventually hoodwinking you into spending money. What you need to do is to stay firm in your opinion. If you have a made a decision after a lot of considerations, you must trust your intelligence and go for what you think is right.

Get an expert opinion:

In the order of action, the above mentioned point comes after this one, but in the ranking of importance getting an expert opinion falls second.

So basically, you should get an opinion first then stay firm on that, but it is more important to stay firm in your opinion.
    We, laymen, no matter how smart we think we are, cannot be as accurate as an expert can be, so we should not feel shy taking opinions. So, before going any further get an expert advice by renowned and best interior designers in Lahore regarding how your renovation should be.

Get old furniture refurbished instead of buying new one:

While many people are aware of this concept, a majority of people still buy new furniture when getting their house renovated. What they do not realize is that they can get their old torn furniture renovated at a better price. You can change the look, shape, design and entire structure of your old furniture, so do not run after new furniture unless you have to.

Do not be ashamed going to a cheap shop:

How many people do you know, who would say that items from DHA are better than items found in interior city? The answer would be many, right? This is indeed a sad reality that majority of people are easily wooed by big shops and posh areas.

They do not know that they could get things of a better quality and at a cheaper price from small shops in the interior city. Ask any famous interior designer in Pakistan about where he/she gets materials for renovation and they would say wholesale markets. So do not be ashamed going to smaller shops in the interior city.

A good house renovation at low price is quite possible if you make smart decisions, get expert opinion and follow suggestions put forward by best interior designers in Pakistan.